Wednesday, January 9, 2013

When Challenged

I am standing next to the sea with a snorkel dangling around my neck.  It hangs like a noose.  What if a jelly fish stings me?  What if I can't see something come up behind me?  What if I start to swallow water?  What if I get stuck?  My mind races, & my heart pounds.  I have an intense fear of the unknown in the water.

Then, the affirmation arises.  Be the woman I want my daughter to become.

I secure my goggles, practice a few breaths, & swim into the unknown.

I am 25 minutes into a workout.  I'm sweating like I've just been in a downpour.  My lungs are on fire.  My legs feel like Jello.  My arms feel like I could not lift a piece of paper.  The skin on my palms is ripping from callouses.  I realize I am barely half way done the prescribed workout.  My mind begins to say 'Just stop now.  It's not worth it.  You feel awful.  You've done enough.  You're no good at this.  Look.  Everyone else is so far ahead of you.'

Then, the affirmation arises.  Be the woman I want my daughter to become.

I breath, wipe my sweat, shake my arms, focus on my own workout, & finish what's been assigned.

I am walking through Target. I see a rack of shirts that would be perfect for work.  They're on sale.  They have five different colors.  I know I have a closet full of more than enough clothes already.  I would like to save extra money for my next adventure & keep my possessions at a minimum.  However, I reason that they will be great for work, going out, paired with this cardigan or those pants.  They're a bargain.

Then, the affirmation arises.  Be the woman I want my daughter to become.

I put the shirts back, walk away, save $60 for my next adventure, & be grateful for the clothes I already own.

I not only challenge myself in the present moment -
I am also a model of how I wish for my daughter to be. 





   

1 comment: