Monday, April 15, 2013

Leap of Faith


In 2011, I seized the opportunity to travel solo to Bali, Indonesia.  I envisioned staying far from tourist spots.  I used Bali-Homestay.com - a family run business in the Tabanan region.  Their website promised airport pick-up, room, all food, tours, hikes, bikes, cultural lessons, and more for an extremely reasonable price.

I had one of the most unique & wonderful experiences I've ever had.  Everything they promised they delivered - with a smile.  I was the only tourist that I could see, & I always felt safe, respected, & comfortable.

People repeatedly ask, "How did you find them?"  I reply, "I typed 'Bali cultural exchange' in the search box, & it was the first and only thing I found."  Inevitably, the next question is, "How did you know they were legit or safe?"  My response is, "I didn't." 

I trusted these strangers half way around the world with my life, & they provided everything plus more.  They were not out to cheat, hurt, or lie to me.  

When I recount my adventures, people often bristle at the idea of trusting so many strangers - fearing the worst.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Because I trusted these individuals, I hiked through rice paddies, biked through native villages, learned how to make offerings, visited temples, ate delicious, home cooked meals, & interacted with real, local people.  I truly had a paradigm shift based on these interactions.  

Between my ability to trust & intuition, I have happened into an ever growing pool of new friends & amazing adventures.  Start local or start global, either way, the world is full of genuinely good people waiting to be met.

*  I have countless examples related to this topic.  I will write more on it because I am that passionate about breaking the fear & distrust of others.  

*  Please feel free to share in the comments if you've had similar experiences.  I'd love to read & share them.


***  Also, if you enjoy my writing, please feel free to share the link.  I am unsure if I will continue writing due to low levels of readership - despite my joy of writing.  Thank you for reading, & I look forward to many more.  
- Sasha  *** 

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful post, Sasha. Your upbeat and trusting approach to life is truly infectious. Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Jen. That's why I write. Hard to keep the good stuff inside me. Just have to share.

      Delete