Sunday, July 14, 2013

Trading Up

I woke my daughter early, & we hit the road at 7:00 am for the National Zoo.  We were advised to arrive early for the pandas' feeding & to see the animals best before the heat arrived - along with the crowds.

The morning flowed perfectly - no rush, no serious mom voice, no mini-tantrums, & most importantly, no traffic.  It was beautiful in its simplicity.

We only shared the park with joggers & power walkers as we ambled to the panda habitat.  The sun was not yet beating down relentlessly, & the weather was just right.

The pandas sat, unaffected by the onlookers, munching on their bamboo breakfast.  

The day continued seamlessly & drama free as we made our way from one environment to another.  Periodically, my daughter would grab my hand as we walked & looked at me with a contented smile.  My eyes clicked mental pictures of that peaceful expression as I smiled in reply.

*  *  *  *  *

After lunch, we began our journey home, but midway I had to stop to hand off something I sold online.  It was a quick transaction at an agreed upon gas station along the way.  The guy handed me the $30, & I gladly passed along some old picture frames I purged recently.  

*  *  *  *  *

Then it hit me -  a light bulb moment.

I spent about $35 for the zoo & lunch, & I received $30 for my old stuff - money out, money in.

I grinned as I thought 'That's awesome.  It was almost an even trade for the day.'  I quickly course corrected my own realization though.

My useless clutter became money which afforded us a priceless day together.

Truthfully, 'I traded up.'  


No comments:

Post a Comment